- The Advanced Studies and Research Board shall consist of:
- Rector (Chairman)
- All Deans/Director (including Dean / Director QEC)
- All professors
- Director Graduate Studies & Research (Secretary)
- The quorum for meeting of the Advanced Studies and Research Board shall be one-half of the total number of members, a fraction being counted as one.
- The Functions of the Advanced Studies and Research Board shall be:
- to advise the Authorities on all matters concerned with the promotion of advanced studies and research in the University, including setting the research priorities.
- to consider and report to the Authorities on the institution of research degrees in the University;
- to propose Regulations regarding the award of research degrees;
- to appoint supervisors for postgraduate research students and to approve titles and synopses of their theses dissertations;
- to approve panels of names of examiners for evaluation of theses and other research examinations; and
- to perform such other functions as may be prescribed by Statutes.
- Rules of Procedure for the Meetings of the Committee for the Advanced Studies and Research Board, shall be as follows:
- The Advanced Studies and Research Board shall meet minimum twice a year (mid of the fall and spring semesters) or whenever the occasion so demands.
- The Secretary shall, with the approval of the Rector, prepare the agenda for a meeting of the Advanced Studies and Research Board.
- At least five days before the meeting, the Office of Graduate Studies and Research shall circulate among the members the agenda along with relevant papers.
- Supplementary agenda may be issued by the Director Graduate Studies and Research, if the occasion so demands, 48 hours before the meeting takes place.
- The secretary or a member with permission of the Rector may propose for consideration of an item under “Current Work” for which previous notice to members shall not be necessary.
- Any item included in the ordinary agenda, supplementary agenda or current work may be taken up for consideration in such order as may be deemed fit by the Rector/Chairperson.
- If a member so desires, he/she may propose in writing the consideration of any item in a meeting at a notice of at least 10 days before the meeting and send his/her proposal to the Secretary. The Secretary may include the item in agenda with the approval of the Rector provided it is otherwise admissible under Statutes, Regulations or Rules.
- Every matter under consideration in the meeting shall be decided by a simple majority vote.
- In case of a tie, the Rector/Chairman shall have a casting vote in addition to his vote as a member of the Advanced Studies and Research Board.
- The record of proceedings of meetings of the Advanced Studies and Research Board shall be maintained by the Secretary and shall be confirmed by the Rector/Chairperson. The proceedings after authentication by the Rector shall be circulated among the members. An advance copy of a paragraph of the proceedings may, with the permission of the Rector, be issued for necessary action.
- The Director Graduate Studies and Research may, if the occasion so demands, convene an emergency meeting of the Advanced Studies and Research Board with the approval of the Rector irrespective of the time limit prescribed in Rules (4i), (4ii) and (4iii) above.
- In case it is not considered feasible to call an emergency meeting of the Advanced Studies and Research Board, the Rector may order that opinion of members on a certain issue be invited by a certain date by circulating the relevant papers among the members and decide the issue according to the views of the majority of the members who send in their opinions within time, treating the rest as neutral, provided that at least half of the members have expressed their opinion on the issue.
- The proceedings of the Advanced Studies and Research Board shall not be invalidated on the ground that any member(s) did not receive within time or at all, the notice or papers or both for a meeting of the Board.
- The Advanced Studies and Research Board may authorize the Rector/Chairperson or a Sub-Committee composed of its members to take a decision on its behalf. The validity of this decision taken on behalf of the Board shall not be questioned in a subsequent meeting of the Board.
- The Advanced Studies and Research Board is authorized for change of supervisor.
- The approval of research proposal and appointment of supervisors in the case of MS Examination shall be accorded by the ASRB when the respective Faculty Research Board recommends the case after taking presentation by the candidates. Research Board of each Faculty shall comprise all PhDs of that faculty, Chaired by the respective Dean/ Director with Dean/Director Graduate Programs of that faculty as the secretary.
- The approval of research proposal and appointment of supervisor/s in the case of PhD Examination shall be accorded by the ASRB when the candidate has satisfied the members of ASRB through presentation.
- A previous decision of the Advanced Studies and Research Board shall not ordinarily be reconsidered within one year of the date of the decision in a subsequent meeting of the Board unless the Rector so recommends.
- The rules may be added to, changed or modified from time to time at the discretion of the Board.
- Minutes of ASRB will be considered agreed / approved by a member if no comment received by him/her within / maximum seven days. After seven days, necessary notifications may be made in anticipation of confirmation of minutes from next ASRB meeting.
- After confirmation minutes will be recommended / signed by (Dean / Director GSR) to Convener ASRB for final approval.
Prepared & Approved by:
Graduate Office and approved in 18th ASRB Meeting
1st revision made by Deans Committee in its 24th September 09, 2020 (Revision of Board)
2nd revision made by ASRB in its 35th meeting