As a forerunner part of Tax Day celebrations, NTU Debating Club arranged a tutorial and debate for the purpose to increase tax awareness amongst new generation. The event was presided by Ms Asma Iqbal (Convener NTU Debating Club) and M Afraz Alam (President, NTU Debating Club).
Students of different departments participated in both Urdu and English categories. Participants were especially highlighted the shortcomings of tax evasion and its negative effect on the economy. Ms Asma Iqbal stated about the pivot role of taxes in the development of a country. M Afraz Alam expressed his views about taxes as national and moral obligation and to create awareness amongst pubic leading to a tax prepared society.
Youngsters were encouraged to speak on the topics as mentioned below:
- ہم ٹیکس ادا کیوں کرتے ہیں؟
- Tax builds nations.
- Taxes are the price of civilization.
- The importance of taxes for a civilized society.
- The reason why taxes are an important component of any government.
- The purpose and importance of taxes in a community.
- Some people believe that they should be able to keep all the money they earn and, should not have to pay tax to the state. To what extant do you agree or disagree?